Saturday, September 09, 2017

Triathlons and Russian Roulette

It was a short and very busy work week.

I arrive at work by 7:30 am in time to get breakfast going for our babies, wash them up when they start flinging Cheerios, and change anyone who pooped. I pass out hugs and kisses, and usually sit on the floor to read books and play with my little friends while they climb on my lap and fight over the best spot to sit. At 9 o'clock I head for the kitchen

The kitchen is now mine. This week I collected breakfast trays and bins, loaded the dishwasher, cooked lunch and passed it out. I made a valiant attempt to figure out how to cook what was on the menu, how much to cook, and how to get it all out on time. I gathered up the dishes and leftovers, reloaded the dishwasher, cleaned the kitchen, and tried, sometimes unsuccessfully, to get the following morning's breakfast trays and present day afternoon snack ready before I had to be back in the infant room at 12:30 pm. to take a walk with the babies.

My break came from 1:30 - 2:30 pm. I usually try to catch ten to fifteen minutes of sleep if possible. At 2:30 pm I go back to the infant rooms to give Meg a break. When she comes back Amanda goes home and I head into her room until we are down to four babies at which time, if the kitchen is clean, I am free to go home. (We had a staff meeting thrown in for good measure this week and that night I didn't get home until 7:30 pm.) Next week I'm getting a half hour more to keep up with the kitchen duties. I think it just might work.

Have I told you that I like my job? I do. I've been struggling with some personal issues and find the love and hugs the little one share with me priceless. Staying busy does me a world of good and I am immensely grateful, even if I am tired. Keep me (and those I love) in your prayers. The water is getting choppy.

1 comment: