Friday, September 29, 2017

The Banana Bread Miracle

There were not nearly enough animal crackers to feed 60 children, and way more quickly-over-ripening-bananas than they would ever eat. I'd already handed them out for breakfast and today was my last chance to use them before I had to throw them out. so I made a bold and daring suggestion. I could make banana bread for snack and use up a bunch.

Several hours later, when I cut the banana bread into pieces and set it on trays, I found myself 6 pieces short. I'd already set aside animal crackers for the babies and still didn't have enough bread. I needed to feed the toddlers all the way through the children
 who would arrive on the bus after school. I needed 54 servings and I had 48. I checked in with the site director to find out what to do. "There are 23 school age kids," I said. She looked slightly shocked. She thought the count was off, checked the list, and said, "No, there are 17," and just like that my dilemma was solved.

I felt God smile. He does that sometimes, you know. Funny thing is, as I write this I recall looking at those two pans of bread and thinking God was going to have to do a miracle if it was to feed everyone. A loaves and fishes kind of miracle. and what do you know? He did!

6 comments:

  1. ...this reminds me of Jesus feeding the 5,000 with 5 loaves and two fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And I even had a piece left over when one tray came back to the kitchen with a piece uneaten. How cool is that?

      Delete
  2. Isn't God great! It's amazing that He works small miracles every day that we really don't notice sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! Little things like this can encourage me for weeks to come.
      :0)

      Delete