Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The Wind

For I will restore health to you 
And heal you of your wounds,’ says the LORD, 
Jeremiah 30:17a

I was looking at a few old blogs and came across this verse of scripture. It feels appropriate tonight, not just for me, but for my kids and the Cabinetmaker as well, because we all need our wounds to be healed.

Two years ago I wrote, "... the truth is we all have times when life knocks the wind out of us, throws us to the ground, and leaves us gasping for breath... " Sometimes I feel like I'm still gasping, and I know for certain other family members are as well.

I got the wind knocked out of me when I was a little girl. I'd climbed up a stump of a tree and landed flat on my back getting down. I lay there on the ground feeling like I was going to die. Not only did my back hurt, but sucking the breath back into my lungs was slow and painful. When I finally picked myself up off the ground and headed across the street to my own house, my mother seemed all too nonchalant about my ordeal. "You got the wind knocked out of you," she said. (I think she even smiled.) She may not have been worried, but I vowed than and there never to let it happen again. If only I could have been so successful with stubbed toes, splinters, and other things in life. But then again, it's exactly those things that make me who I am, isn't it?

4 comments:

  1. Getting the wind knocked out of you at any age is painful. I'm felt that a few times myself.

    Again, your way with words, grip me and touch me. I love you and your family and pray that peace will come to all of you someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just knowing we are wrapped in your prayers is comforting.

      Delete
  2. ...my best to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete