Sunday, April 01, 2018

The Barn Collective

Since I'm good at pushing the limits on these games, and since I have not a photo of the entire structure, I give you a small fraction of a barn. I'm loving the silo.

Plucked from my parents' slide collection, Dad wasn't going for the barn when he took the picture. He was looking to capture the dairy farmer (his Uncle Joe, in the bowler hat), the farmer's three sons (Dad's youngest cousins), and my dad's brother, my Uncle Art.

Uncle Joe, when I was a little girl, lived on a dairy farm in Caneadea, NY. (Caneadea is a town in Allegany CountyNew York, United States. The population was 2,542 at the 2010 census. The name is from the natives and means "where the heavens rest on earth.")  I always love that little bit of information... I'm not sure this is the farm I remember. Do farmers take their cows and move?


The Cabinetmaker and I drove past Uncle Joe's old farm a year and a half ago, but the trees hid the barn from view and neither of us were brave enough to go knocking on the door of the present farmer's house in order to get a closer look. 

I heard Easter dinner is at Tom's house this year. Come on over!

7 comments:

  1. ...who knew that Caneadea population was 2,542? I often drive through Caneadea. there not much to see! I read a while ago that all the names beginning with 'Can' in this area referred to a 'place.' Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cool that you can remember exactly where the farm was and is. While I remember going to Uncle Joe’s farm, I’m not sure I could find it today.

    I remember those boys being teenagers, watching Aunt Sharks feed the chickens, and going into that barn....walking between all those cows on either side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that google auto correct would trust me that I truly meant to type “Sharky” and that it wouldn’t do me a so called favor of correcting it to say “sharks.”

      Delete
    2. I had to do some searching in order to find where exactly the farm was. It because of our visits to Uncle Joe and Aunt Sharky that I don't mind the sell of a cow barn.

      I remember the huge flower garden, kittens, horrible hound dogs, and corn on the cob. And of course the little lamb I fed the bottle to one spring.

      That auto correct is a tricky one.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful memory post! Loved seeing the photo, and learning about the little town! Great that you can find the farm now...you should definitely knock on the door!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree... knock on the door. Some people who used to live in our house did that years ago, and we were glad to hear their story and let them reminisce.

    ReplyDelete