Monday, April 30, 2018

Was That a Weekend?

Weekends go by a little bit too fast. Three day weekends would be nice. Ha ha! We'll get one at the end of May, I guess.

I'm amassing pottery. My family won't know what to do with me come Christmas. I might need to have a yard sale and see if I can sell off some of the "not-so-perfect" pieces while the weather is nice. I'm assuming the weather will get nice and stay that way at some point. Thinking positive here. About both the weather and the pottery. I'm planning on both of them improving.

I've been experimenting with glazes and shapes. The yellow salt glaze over shino is my favorite so far, but I need to work on reducing some of the bubbles in the glaze. Little bubbles add character, big bubbles leave pits. Pits are undesirable. Also undesirable are cone shaped bowls. I'm trying to round out the sides to make a prettier bowl and although I'm getting better, I still flop a good number of them. I'm also struggling to keep my pots from getting uneven and off center. Some of it happens in throwing, some in removing them from the wheel, and here and there in the trimming, if the clay body is too soft or fragile. It's a learning process.

Next time I go into the studio I'll be glazing these "pie bowls." I'm thinking I'll stick with the yellow glaze for now. Cause I'm on a yellow kick and I like it best.

4 comments: